Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Blog Post on Peers

I really enjoyed reading Sam's blog post about the Social Network and unobtrusive research.  I too saw the Social network and really enjoyed learning about how Facebook came about.  Facebook is huge in our society today when it comes to networking, or just staying in contact with old friends and colleagues.  As Sam mentioned in her blog, I too did not realize that Mark Zuckerberg used unobtrusive research until he ultimately came about the idea of Facebook.  He unobtrusively conducted an experiment online called FaceMatch, where he matched up Harvard girls to one another and made the website viral.  Students were able to vote which one they thought was better looking.  Because the website went viral so quickly he was able to achieve social unobtrusive research without people knowing they were being studied as well no biased opinions.   He went on from there to ultimately create the Facebook that mostly all of us use today.




The second classmates blog I read was Fran's on social media.  She discussed how not even knowing it, everyone that is on social media networks throughout the day such as Facebook and Twitter, are conducting unobtrusive research.  For example, I lost my phone a week or two back and had no way to get a hold of my friends to see what they were doing.  However, any chance I had, I checked my Twitter and Facebook accounts to see what was going on, and what everyone was up to for the weekend.  In addition, we are able to see what movie and sport celebrities are up to on a daily basis if they use Twitter.  As Fran mentioned, we can follow our favorite celebrities and get updates to what they are doing, what they like, or how they feel about something.  I follow actor Jeremy Piven, also know as Ari Gold on the HBO Series Entourage.  In his last tweet he said "Some people have to bungie jump in port-a-potties to make a living...." referring to the movie Jackass which debuts Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment