Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Research in the Field of Regenerative Medicine

In the medical field, particularly the sector of regenerative medicine, research is key to new findings, new technology, more cures, and further advancing the field of regenerative medicine.  However, how careful do you have to be when researching in the medical sector?  


Over the summer I worked for a medical marketing company where I did a lot of research and social media for the regenerative medicine sector.  One of my tasks was to reach out to key contacts in the medical fields such as doctors, professors, and venture capitalists.  However, before reaching out to any of the contacts I had to research and profile them, and report back to my boss.  Surprisingly, I found falsified identities who weren't really who they said they were.  


On the other hand, when doing research on tissue engineering, stem or cancer cells in general the researcher has to be very careful because one's well-being is most important.  As we discussed in class, the concept of deception comes into play in researching regenerative medicine.  Altering stem cells and growing tissues and embryos is a very diversified field where a small percentage of even the medical population has a grasp handle on the possible positive and negative effects.


I am not saying the practice of regenerative medicine is wrong at all.  In fact I support the practice of regenerative medicine 110 percent.  My point is that when dealing with medical issues the research portion of it is so important because of all the deception that can be found on websites or blogs today.  The progress in tissue engineering and advancements of technology in the regenerative medicine field have saved many lives so far, and hopefully even more to come.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Charlie, your post here was very informative and helped me gain and understanding of both your topic of the blog and researching methods. You bring in a personal view too by being involved with the regenerative medicine field with your internship. having prior experience with researching doctors and other medicinal identities definitely worked as a crutch for your blogging. I don't really think your link fits though. Physically, it goes along with what you're talking about and gives a definition like response to what stem and cancer cells are. But instead of a link just defining something, why not a story about research on those cells. I also think you need a little more in your personal opinion portion, this is your blog. I could go out on the internet and research anything about this but I come to blogs to gain an understanding of what this specific writer feels about a matter.

    ReplyDelete